Thursday, 8 November 2012

as Hamlet said 'something is rotten in the state of Denmark'

I got wind yesterday of something concerning to do with an issue I'd raised some time ago, and thought it had been dealt with.  As a mental health activist and campaigner, working to bring about improvements to services and, with others, a transformation of the psychiatric system, I do get fed up with the shenanigans of people in power.  Who should be there to serve others rather than serving their own ends.

Now there might be a good reason as to why something happened like it did but I'm not impressed, yet again, with the attempts made to cover up or justify what looks like more of the same.  A conflict of interests and a person not wanting to let go of their position of power.  Someone who has been used to doing what they want, making decisions on behalf of others and not being answerable.

I'm a member of this organisation and being a member gives me rights.  I have the right to know what is going on with the leadership and management, why certain things are happening, and to be treated with respect.  I'm not prepared to put up with bullying or with not being given a proper explanation.  There's a meeting coming up so it will be an opportunity to raise this issue and also to discuss the meaning of being a membership organisation.  

I think it's to do with the paternalism of the psychiatric system filtering into the voluntary sector mental health workings, where our fellow compatriots are having to work with the system and are in danger of becoming like the system.  And don't even realise they are doing it.  Making decisions on our behalf and thinking they know best.  It's very irritating and they really do need to wake up and smell the coffee.  I've said it before but it obviously needs saying again.


No comments:

Post a Comment